Call for applications for early career researchers in the LAC region: Science Leadership workshop and participation in CILAC Forum 20-24 October 2018, Panama City (deadline 30 August 2018)
The Open Science Forum for Latin America and the Caribbean (CILAC) will be held 22- 24 October 2018 in Panama City, Panama. The aim of this forum is to contribute to the design of a planetary strategy for sustainable development driven by Science, Technology, and Innovation. In order to achieve this aim, it is vital that dialogues are intergenerational, and interdisciplinary, including diverse perspectives.
To this end, The World Academy of Sciences Young Affiliates Network (TWAS-TYAN) is is working with the Global Young Academy (GYA), Interacademy Partnership (IAP), to convene a diverse group of interdisciplinary young scientists, from across the world, to participate in the CILAC conference, and a pre-conference Science Leadership training workshop on 20-21 October 2018.
The aim of the workshop is to equip participants with the necessary tools and skills to augment their impact in leading the charge to use science to meet the 2030 Sustainable Development goals. The workshop will build the leadership capacity of participants to engage in intergenerational dialogues on the role of science in policy; skills that will be put into practice in the main conference, with outcomes of discussions at the workshop feeding intoseveral CILAC panels. The six thematic areas of focus of the workshop are:
- STI and sustainable, Innovative creative cities
- Relevance of social science and humanities for the 21st century
- Climate Change, Disaster Risk Reduction and the Role of Science, Technology and Innovation
- Open science
- Bioeconomics and biotechnology for sustainable development in the LAC region
- Technology convergence
We welcome nominations (including self-nominations) from TWAS Young Affiliates across all disciplines (including arts, humanities, natural and social sciences) and sectors who:
- Are based in the Latin American and Caribbean region
- Have demonstrated commitment to contributing to interdisciplinary collaboration in order to strengthen the role of science in addressing societal challenges
- Have outstanding communication skills
- Work in areas relevant to one or more of the six themes of the workshop
We especially encourage the nomination of women and under-represented groups.
How to apply (deadline 30 August 2018)
Applicants are invited to submit:
- A 500 word (max) motivation statement on your motivation for applying, how your research interests fit with any of the six themes listed above, brief description of your involvement in TYANactivities, and how you hope to apply the training received in your context.
- 2-page CV that demonstrates eligibility including academic excellence, work in one or more of the thematic areas of the workshop, and commitment to science in service to society.
Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for receipt of nominations/applications is 30 August 2018 (midnight UTC) and candidates will be informed of the outcome of their application by 30 September 2018. Successful applicants will have their return flights covered, receive shared accommodation for the duration of the conference and workshop, local transport. Costs of flights and sustenance will be determined by TWAS.