Greetings from the University of Tokyo!
(Please forward this email to the appropriate department/person responsible for the areas covered by this message.)
We are very pleased to announce that the University of Tokyo (UTokyo) will provide hands-on laboratory experience to undergraduate students through the Amgen Scholars Program 2018. [This Program is made possible by the continued generous support of the Amgen Foundation since 2015.]
The objective of the program is to provide undergraduate students from different countries, including Japan, who are committed to or who are considering a career in biology or related sciences and planning to continue to graduate studies, with eight weeks (from June 11 to August 6, 2018) of biomedical research experience in the basic and translational sciences. Opportunities for research experience will be provided by 31 research laboratories in five of the graduate schools and research institutes of UTokyo (Graduate School of Engineering, Graduate School of Science, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences and the Institute of Industrial Science) where the students will be able to gain valuable hands-on experience in research.
Additionally, there will be opportunities for the students to take part in events, such as Japanese language classes, Japanese cultural events, exchange events with UTokyo students, etc., organized to maximize their experience as Amgen Scholars at UTokyo.
Each Amgen Scholars will receive a stipend to cover their return travel and living expenses, in addition to paid accommodation, during the program.
UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program applicants must be undergraduate students who are:
- Enrolled in colleges or universities worldwide that award a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent); and
- At the minimum, have completed their first year of undergraduate study at the time the summer program begins, and
- Are not graduating before the summer program begins, and will resume their undergraduate studies for at least 1 semester or 1 quarter after the end of the summer program.
UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program applicants must also:
- Have a strong record of academic performance; and
- Have good working knowledge of English, demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 72, IELTS overall band score of 5.5, Cambridge English FCE, TOEIC L&R score of 785, or TOEIC S&W score of 310, if not a native English speaker or English is not your first language, and
- Have an interest in pursuing a Ph.D.
Application for the program is now open online and will close at 3:00 PM on February 1, 2018 (Japan Standard Time).
To learn more about the UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program, please visit
http://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/prospective-students/amgen_program.html , and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us by e-mail email@example.com
We would be more than happy if you would disseminate the information about the program to your students along with the attached e-card.
We look forward to receiving applications from your students.