Scientific Editor/Translator in Biological Fields – contribute to changing how non-native English speakers write academic papers
Join a growing vibrant and multidisciplinary team that is redefining how non-native English speakers write scientific papers. Form part of a company that offers opportunities for professional advancement, continued learning, and competitive pay.
Initially, we are offering:
– A full-time job as a scientific editor.
– Initial and constant training and feedback to ensure professional improvement and growth as an editor.
– Competitive salary.
Committed candidates to our startup/vision, and with outstanding work quality will receive the opportunity to access to extra benefits, implying:
- Career development opportunities.
- Increased pay opportunities.
- Equity or stock options.
- Involvement with our research, development, and innovation team (linguists, scientists, and computer engineers) to improve our exclusive writing software.
We need someone that wants to build a long-term career as an editor and that wants to contribute to a meaningful, challenging project. We are looking for:
– Scientific text translators (Spanish to English; DELE B2 level or other test equivalent for reading) and/or copyeditors. Candidates with both of these skills will be prioritized.
– Native English speakers. We define a native English speaker as someone that has completed their primary, secondary, and university-level schooling in a country where English is the predominant/official language (e.g. USA, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa).
– The candidate must have at least a B.Sc./B.A. Candidates that hold a PhD and have postdoctoral experience are desirable, but not mandatory. Candidates should have a degree:
- In the life sciences, preferably the molecular sciences (e.g. cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, physiology, biomedicine, etc.).
- In communications/journalism, with training in scientific communication. We are willing to consider candidates with a non-scientific background if they show exceptional writing and editing skills.
– Proven experience editing scientific texts (i.e. grammar/punctuation/format/rewriting).
If you are a highly motivated candidate that has the cited skills and enjoys reading and copy editing scientific papers, please apply. Candidates will be thoroughly evaluated in different stages before being considered for freelance work. For the first stage of the selection process, please submit:
- A short resume, not longer than two pages.
- A scientific text not longer than 250 words that you have written/rewritten or edited/translated (please specify the type of work performed).
BioPub has as a goal to improve the level of English in scientific texts written by Latin American investigators, many of whom still struggle to communicate their discoveries due to a language barrier. Our highly-qualified team helps researchers through editing and translation services. We have worked with the most important universities in Chile, establishing key contacts and gaining traction.
WriteWise (www.writewise.cl) is a technology startup that is changing the writing and editing processes for scientific documents through the use of cutting-edge technology based on artificial intelligence. Founded in 2017 as a spin-off of BioPub, WriteWise has brought together a dynamic team of computer engineers, scientists, and English linguists. WriteWise has received the support of top scientific journals and scientists worldwide.
Application deadline: March 5th